Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Pete Naylor
Para: Peter Galbavy
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 09:54:24PM -0700, Pete Naylor wrote:
> > That's right - I hope nobody is silly enough to configure their DNS in the
> > manner that you've just described. Really bad practice.
>
> Your "bad practice" is someone elses de-facto standard. Sorry, but this
> is true regardless of how undesirable you may find it.

You're right of course - people have been known to be clueless. I believe
that if interoperability is sought the de-facto standard of choice should
be the RFCs. If someone isn't following the recommendations of the RFCs,
and is not making good use of the facilities provided to them by the DNS,
they're on their own. People in that situation should probably not
complain loudly about the fact that a piece of software which is commonly
used does not support their weird configuration by default.

> > Just as it is broken on machines where the resolver does not properly deal
> > with DNS round robin. Relying on this arrangement for redundancy is
> > nothing short of foolish. Can you provide an example which somebody in
> > their right mind might encounter?
>
> Web sites (not mail) are a good example of using the DNS to spread
> load. There are better solutions, but they cost much more money -
> which can be a very limiting factor in the not so happily funded
> academic and SME worlds.

That's a good example of load-balancing - I've used it myself. However,
that does not provide any redundancy, and nscd does not have any negative
effect in that situation.

> > Is everything else in the Solaris install preconfigured to suit you?
>
> The law of least astonishment ?

I'm not at all astonished that nscd produces undesirable results against
domain name records which aren't effectively configured.

--
 * Peter James Naylor ## SysAdmin, Supernal Technologies, Inc. *