Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
Para: Marc Stuermer
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?
On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Marc Stuermer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am going to host some large mailing lists, which will roughly have
> about 9 million mails per month in sum.

How many on a particular list? There is a huge difference between hosting
a million lists of 9 members each with one message a month per list than
hosting one list of 500000 with 20 message per month.

There has been some recent discussion about how when sending mail to a
large list, it might be useful to have something (not exim) break up the
list many smaller lists before passing things to exim.

> Since I am going to play the exploder for these lists, I want to know, if
> there are any optimization tips around here for good delivery speed.

There definitely are, but it depends on circumstances.

> max_parallel is 50 at the moment, seems this high enough or are more better here?

> And I guess, turning ident- and RBL off would help, too.

That will only speed up the processing of incoming requests, and will have
no effect on outgoing. Since you are the exploder the number of incoming
should be fairly small compared to the number of out-going.

> Any other things to think about, any suggestions, e.g. for handling Bounces,
> Delivery failures and so on?

Again, it depends on your lists. Using VERP is a tough call. It makes
outgoing more expensive when many subscribers are at the same site, but it
makes bounce management much easier because you really know which address
failed.

> On the server runs a named, by the way.

That will help. Presumably as a caching only forwarding name server.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814