Re: [Exim] Everybody doesn't like something ...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: , Randy Bush exim-users@exim.org
A: Randy Bush
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Everybody doesn't like something ...
Randy,

You wrote:

> mime is a formalism for codifying incompatibility.

I just have to comment on that.
I remember the early days of MIME. People was raving about it like
people are raving about HTML now. What you and others tend to forget,
is that new techniques are invented because there's a need for it. I
wouldn't sit here and defend MIME and HTML if it wasn't for the fact
that it does serve important purposes in the international community.

> /dev/null is a safe place to store email one receives with data in wierd
> formats. and good mail user tools (e.g. procmail) can help automate the
> process of doing so.

Good mail user tools are also able to handle MIME in a user friendly
way. Fortunately, most do today, but it was a long struggle to get
there, a struggle in persuading ignorant american programmers to
consider i18n to be a base requirement. And it seem to be an issue
for a long time yet.

Note that I do NOT defend or even recognize M$ products as good
tools. They tend to serve only M$'s plan to overtake the market. I
hate such behavior.

<tomas/>