Re: [Exim] Strange idea...

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Strange idea...
Quoth Tomas Fasth on Sun, Oct 03, 1999:
> Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> >
> > I have yet to see mailing list software that is not a complete
> > piece of crap.
>
> Hm. A proven useful piece of crap then?

Proven useful, but still not good enough.

> What secret may dvelve in your mind that
> makes you rule out currently available software as crap? May be you
> could share it with us so the evolution can take a leap forward?

None of them are well-written and have well-written
documentation. None of them really has enough features that I
need. I haven't looked at commercial mailing list managers,
though -- maybe they will have everything I need, but then, maybe
not.

> > Exim is almost
> > suitable for building a mailing list manager on top of.
>
> Sure. Exim is fine. I use it myself. I also happen to like the *nix
> philosophy. Pick your pieces. The best of breed in each category, at
> the moment.

Yes, I think I agree with you here. Exim is a really nice
program.

> I look at Qmail.

At the time we installed Exim, qmail was not a drop-in
replacement for sendmail. It still doesn't have all features
that Exim has.

> I tried Postfix.

I looked at their web site not too long ago. It seems a little
immature. But I should try it one day.

> Then I
> switched to Exim. Still using Mailman, because it works best for me.

I shall look at mailman again. Maybe something changed since I
last looked at it.

> What I _really_ wanted to say was: I always shed a tear or two when
> good principles are neglected or ignored. Exim is good in doing mail
> transport, a list manager is managing lists on behalf of users.
> Different level of services.

True. But Exim has almost enough features to build some mailing
list manager thingie on top of it. There is no need to recode
everything from scratch when you can implement it on top of Exim.

> I urge you to go ahead and make the best
> list manager ever built by mankind.

Thanks. At this time, I'm not going to write a mailing list
manager, anyway.

> But please don't make it
> dependent on a specific implemenation of MTA. You will regret it one
> day.

Maybe. But then, I can always change the mailing list manager I
use. Anyway, now we have a lot of things built on top of exim.

Vadik.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
         encryption standard and they came up with ...