[Exim] using a hashed spool

Author: mjm
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] using a hashed spool
Hi All,

I am trying to set up a hashed spool with the following structure:

/var/spool/mail/{1st_letter_in_username}/{2nd_letter_in_username}/{username}

I have set up local delivery as follows for initial testing:

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
file = /var/spool/mail/${substr_0_1:$localpart}/${substr_1_1:$localpart}/${local_part}
group = mail
mode = 0660

Since this is my first attempt at implementing a hashed spool, I am
wondering if anyone knows if there might be a better way to do it.

It works fine this way (seems to anyway), but with the one exception of
the directory inital permissions.

For example, I send mail to a new account bob@localhost

So it creates:
/var/spool/mail/b/o/bob

But the subdirectory b, and o have ownership of bob

So if I was to send mail to bob2@localhost, bob2 would not be created
because bob owns '/var/spool/mail/b/' and '/var/spool/mail/b/o/'.

I am going to fight with some ownership/permission things, but thought I
would ask here just to get other ideas and thoughts.

Thanks in advanced,
Mike Massong