Re: [Exim] I can't deliver any email yet

Author: Philip Hazel
To: patmac
CC: exim-users, pgm
Subject: Re: [Exim] I can't deliver any email yet
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Patrick MacKeown wrote:
>
> > Exim gives me this error when I send mail to root.
> >
> > Sep 30 13:10:33 ns1 exim[2822]: could not open panic log - original error was: 1999-09-30 13:10:33 11WmXB-0000jU-00 Unable to get root to set uid and gid for local delivery to root: uid=1199 euid=1199
> >
> > This happens whether ~exim/configue never_users             = root
> > is set or not.

> You've forgotten to make the exim binary setuid root.

Hmm. Now that I've woken up more and read your message again, perhaps it
isn't as simple as that. Do I take it that you *can* delivery mail to
other users?

People don't normally delivery mail to root, they make root an alias for
the system administrator. However, as long as you have never_users
unset, Exim should be able to do it - though it has its security
worries. Whose uid is 1199?