Re: [Exim] Where is relayed mail queued?

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Jeremy C. Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Where is relayed mail queued?
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Where does exim place the queued mail? I tried doing a mailq but nothing
> showed. (I assume mailq is for local mail?)

It is queued in where your exim spool area is. And that is where
you configured it to be. One way to find out is to run the command

exim -bP spool_directory

though reading your exim configuration file may also give you a clue.

One way to inspect the queue is to run

exim -bp

and you can get a neater summary with

exim -bp | exiqsumm

And if you have eximon set up (and an X server) you can watch (and
manipulate) the queue through this X-Windows application.

> When I send an email to the downed machine, I don't receive any bounces so
> I assume that it is getting queued.

I don't really mean to sound rude, but if you are the MX backup and you
know so little about your own mail transport system (are you even certain
that you are running exim?) then I have some real fears about what is
happening to that mail. Yes we all have to learn sometime, but acting as
a MX back-up in your position may be a bit unwise.

I do wish you well with this.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814