Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignorin…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tomas Fasth
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Paul Makepeace, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignoring bounce errors)
Philip Hazel wrote:

> It could, but that isn't what the RFC says (if I recall correctly) and
> also, I think it would be disastrous. Lots of people these days have
> multiple forwarding of the type A->B->C->D. You don't want the sender to
> get 4 "delivered" messages. (Personally, as a sender, I don't want *any*
> such messages.)

I see. What you don't like is "successful delivery" notifications. I
agree. But the dislike of that particular use shouldn't really be a
reason to avoid sending "failed delivery" notifications in DSN
format.

> We have 6,000 users on this system and 20,000 on our biggest. If one of
> our users forwards to some new address that is or becomes broken, I
> don't want to know. I certainly don't want to receive a message every
> time a message comes in for this user (these people are always on a
> zillion mailing lists). Let the senders be told. If they are desperate
> they can find other ways of contacting the recipients and telling them
> their forwarding is broken.

Yes, I see your point. Ideally, when errors in user space address
redirection (dot forward) occurs, the responsible user should be the
one being notified, not the postmaster.

<tomas/>