Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignorin…

Author: Tomas Fasth
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Paul Makepeace, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignoring bounce errors)
Philip Hazel wrote:

> My feeling is that a lot of the things people want in this area should
> be handled by MUAs, not MTAs. That gives more control to the end user as
> well.

At a certain level, MUAs have to exchange information with MTAs. One purpose of DSN is to allow MUAs to better
visualize what is happening on the transportation level. As long as MTAs fail to conform to any kind of
standard response format, MUA interaction with the user will continue to be awkward in this regard.

Since you are the one having an implementor's experience on the MTA side, I should take your words seriously.
But as a former MUA implementor, I must say, if your point of view stands, Internet based messaging will be
hard to refine any further, at least at the user end.

Couldn't dot forward processing be regarded as a successful delivery? You compared it yourself with a mini
mailing list, quite correctly I believe. If something goes wrong with the message once it passed a dot forward
processing, shouldn't the postmaster be notified, not the sender?

<tomas/>