Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignorin…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Paul Makepeace
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] MIME message/rfc822 bounce messages (was: Ignoring bounce errors)
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> I mentioned this before and I think it's even on the wishlist but having the
> ability to create MIME encapsulated bounce messages would be I think very
> useful.

Yes, it is on the Wish List. It is also one of the things that has
people arguing strongly both ways, so it would certainly be optional
(especially as I don't want it :-) .

> And that's not just because our (paying as opposed to email) client
> requires it or that it's on the IETF Standards Track. I'd ultimately like to
> see exim heading towards full Disposition Notification `a la RFC2298
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2298.txt itself based on RFC1894 about DSNs ("A
> DSN can be used to notify the sender of a message of any of several
> conditions: failed delivery, delayed delivery, successful delivery, ...")

Aarrgghh. I've published my views on DSN before. They are in the FAQ.
Here's what it says:

   I investigated the RFCs which describe the DSN (delivery status
   notification) system, and there is even a bit of code in there (excluded
   by #ifdef) for handling some of the data. However, I was unable to
   specify any sensible way of actually doing anything with the data. There
   were comments on the mailing list at the time; many people, including
   me, conclude that DSN is in practice unworkable. The killer problem is
   with forwarding and aliasing. Do you propagate the DSN data with the
   generated addresses? Do you send back a "reached end of the DSN world"
   or "expanded" message? Do you do this differently for different kinds of
   aliasing/forwarding? For a user who has a .forward file with a single
   address in, this might seem easy - just propagate the data. But what if
   there are several forwardings? If you propagate the DSN data, the sender
   may get back several DSN messages - and should the sender really know
   about the detail of the receiver's forwarding arrangements? There isn't
   really any way to distinguish between a .forward file that is forwarding
   and one that is a mini mailing list. And so on, and so on. There are so
   many questions that don't have obvious answers.

My feeling is that a lot of the things people want in this area should
be handled by MUAs, not MTAs. That gives more control to the end user as
well.