Re: [Exim] multiple alias files and receiver_verify

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Gary Palmer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] multiple alias files and receiver_verify
On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Gary Palmer wrote:

> It seems that the
> receiver_verify option doesn't recurse until it gets a definitive
> answer

Correct. This code goes back well before the days of wild cards in alias
files. Without wild cards, if the incoming local part matches some
alias, then that's good enough verification. I can see that with wild
cards there might be a case for doing more, but the problem then is that
an alias might expand into several different addresses, and what do you
do if some of them are OK and others are not? I suppose the most
straightforward thing is to insist that all of them verify.

> Is there any tweak to exim 2.12 to allow the mail for an unknown
> user@??? to be rejected during the smtp transaction?

No, and not even in 3.03 (the latest release). However, I will think
about this wildcard case and see if anything can be done. Thanks for
pointing it out.