Re: [Exim] LDAP sizelimits

Author: Pete Naylor
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Paul Makepeace, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] LDAP sizelimits
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> If somebody tells me which options are required to be set, and refers me
> to the ldap functions that control them, I may be able to figure out
> a way of doing something. (There is already the external option to
> provide a list of servers; perhaps something similar could be done.)

The current requirement of referring to a lookup as a URL restricts some
usage. My issue (which is different from the one which prompted your
message above) is that there is no way to authenticate and bind as the URL
format does not provide a means for providing a password. The LDAP
libraries used in the Exim build do support authenticated binds, so I'd be
thrilled if there was a means to do this via Exim configuration. Perhaps
the bind object and the password could be additional options for a given
server or list of servers (which you've already made allowances for)? I
have a situation where I'd like to use Exim in a particular environment -
but the directory servers in that environment don't allow anonymous
binding (and I don't have authority to change that). If something like
this should find its way into a future Exim release I'd be very grateful.

--
 * Peter James Naylor ## SysAdmin, Supernal Technologies, Inc. *