Re: [Exim] message_size_limit and error-messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: Sven Callender, Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_size_limit and error-messages
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I think that the question was to inform the recipients, not the sender,
> who will get an appropriately generated bounce. It appears that the
> management want mail that says something like
>
>   "Someone tried to send you mail, but it didn't get through because the
>    sender probably thinks that MS-Word or PowerPoint are reasonable
>    document exchange formats.  Now do you really want to be getting mail
>    from such idiots anyway?"

Ah. I had misunderstood that. Sven's later message pointing out that the
limit is on a transport also makes it clear that this is indeed what is
wanted.

I don't think there is any way to do this at present. On the Wish List
is the following item:

  (93) 04-May-1999  L  fallback_transport

This would be a generic transport option, specifying a different transport to
be used if the first one failed. Failed hard, or failed soft? Or an option?

If I ever implement it, it could be used for this kind of thing by
falling back to an autoreply transport.