RE: [Exim] cyrus delivery without a local account

Author: Bernard Stern
To: aue@nirvis.com
CC: Exim mailing list
Subject: RE: [Exim] cyrus delivery without a local account
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:49:35 -0700 David Aue wrote:

Hi David,

> Hi All,

> I am using Exim with Cyrus IMAP. I would like to set up IMAP boxes that

Yes, me too ;-)

> have no associated user account. If I try to send mail throught the
> standard setup then the local delivery complains if there is no user. From
> readng the docs it's clear I need to use something other than local
> delivery but I'm not sure what to do.

I have this kind of config on one of my MTAs. Here is my setup:

driver:

shell_users:
driver = aliasfile
require_files = EXIM_CFG/local-domains : EXIM_CFG/shell-users
domains = partial-lsearch;EXIM_CFG/local-domains
file = EXIM_CFG/shell-users
search_type = lsearch
no_rewrite
# no_more
transport = shell_users_delivery

transport:

shell_users_delivery:
driver = pipe
use_shell
command = ${lookup{${lc:$local_part}}lsearch{EXIM_CFG/shell-users}{$value}fail}
return_output
prefix = ""
from_hack
user = exim
#
# The command is found in the shell-users file, key is the local part of the
# address. prefix = "" is mandatory for cyrus (reason not remembered, but
# discussed on the exim-users mailing list). from_hack just in case, no harm
# done but might avoid delivery problems. use_shell because of delivery
# problems, process deliver from cyrus return error 69 (could mean service
# or program unavailable).

local-domains:
domain.ch
*.domain.ch

shell-user:
# for delivering users with user accounts
user: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver user
# for delivering mailboxes without user accounts
mailbox: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -a cyrus -m mailbox

> I also would like some addresses (like orders@???) to go to a
> "public" IMAP box which requires a slightly different delevery command than
> for user boxes. How can I provide an alternate delivery technique for
> specific names?

With this config, you don't need more drivers/transports for your alternative
delivery.

> Please point me at any docs that may help me understand this all. I've
> tried to get some clues by reading the exim spec but it assumes you are
> familiar with UNIX mail habits already. Being a UNIX newbie I'm kinda
> lost.

> Thanks,

> David Aue
> Nirvis Systems

I hope this helps.

Bernard Stern, SWITCH

_____SWITCH Swiss Academic and Research Network_______________________________
Mail: SWITCH Head Office / Tel:+41 1 268 1520 | Fax: +41 1 268 1568
      Limmatquai 138    / Internet: postmaster@???
   CH-8001 Zurich      / X.400: /S=postmaster/O=switch/P=SWITCH/A=400net/C=ch/