Re: [Exim] all relevant MX records point to non-existent hos…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Tippe, Darrell
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Betreff: Re: [Exim] all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Tippe, Darrell wrote:

> lukensinc.com preference = 100, mail exchanger = 208.169.176.82

Broken MX record.

> Usually when you do a MX record lookup you get a mail server fully qualified
> name not a IP address. Is there something I can configure in exim to handle
> this or is this a problem with the dns configured on that site?

The DNS zone is broken. The RFCs are very specific in stating that the
right-hand side of an MX record is a domain name, *not* an IP address.
Since "208.169.176.82" is in fact a syntactically valid domain name,
Exim has treated it as one.

Exim should have added this comment to the error: "it appears that the
DNS operator for this domain has installed an invalid MX record with an
IP address instead of a domain name on the right hand side". Did it not
do that?