Re: [Exim] hashed spool IMAPd

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Richard G. Duvall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] hashed spool IMAPd
[ On Saturday, August 21, 1999 at 21:38:20 (-0700), Richard G. Duvall wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] hashed spool IMAPd
>
> Does anybody have a patch, or even some ideas about where to get an IMAPd
> that will work with my hashed spool mail directory
> (/var/mail/u/s/username)?

I'd recommend using the Cyrus IMAP server. It doesn't use the kind of
hash-bucket mechanism you now use, but it does allow multiple mailbox
"partitions", which can easily be used to split up user mailboxes into
reasonable sized groups.

Cyrus IMAP is also far far more efficient if you users store any
significant amount of e-mail on your server.

The primary, but very minor, "drawback" of Cyrus IMAP is that the
mailboxes are no longer readable by a normal Unix mailer. This can be
easily overcome though by using a little wrapper script around each such
mailer so that it uses a POP-capable "movemail" program to copy messages
from the system spool to a user's own private "spool" file in their home
directory.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>