Re: [Exim] RAM in mail server

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tabor J. Wells
To: Richard G. Duvall
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] RAM in mail server
On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 04:31:39PM -0700,
Richard G. Duvall <rgduvall@???> is thought to have said:

> My hard drive on my mail server is doing alot of access (slow seek time,
> etc). I have 10,000 users on the 400Mhz Pentium II with 128MB ram. I am
> wondering if my access is being slowed down by mail transfer, or from
> swapping. how do I tell which?
>
> I am running bsdi 4.01
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Richard G. Duvall

I don't know BSDI at all, but I would imagine that there is a vmstat and
iostat command on that OS. Use those to see whether you are having a
swapping problem or a disk I/O problem. Given the number of users and the
amount of RAM you have, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was both.

Also I don't know how your disks are laid out, but I would strongly
recommend putting I/O intensive directories (like your mail spool perhaps)
and filesystems on their own disk.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality