Re: [Exim] Long time down MTAs

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dr.Rich Artym
A: exim-users
Cc: rich
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Long time down MTAs
Martin Stewart wrote in <E11Byf4-0005d2-00@???>:

> Using Exim 2.11 as I understand it when an MTA has gone down
> exim will use the retry rules to continue to deliver mail until the
> retry rules expire. At this point exim will give up on any mail for that
> MTA and stop accepting incoming mail for that customer.

This coupling of outgoing failure to incoming acceptance should be
under the control of the administrator. Exim currently operates with
an implicit (non-existing) parameter of

    reject_incoming_on_longterm_delivery_failure = true

while Martin Stewart's secondary MX problem really requires
running the MTA with

    reject_incoming_on_longterm_delivery_failure = false

Personally I'd prefer the simpler semantics of the above setting in
primary MX cases as well, because I have this odd feeling that
each mail item should compete for delivery on its own merits and
not be affected by precedent, certainly on initial receipt, and maybe
even later on. I have felt for a while now that we have needed a
little more parametrization on the operation of delivery deferral,
and this latest highlighting of the coupling to incoming acceptance
makes me feel even more that this area needs some attention.

Cheers,

Rich Artym
rich@???