Re: [Exim] Ident/Auth

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chris Thompson
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Ident/Auth
Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@???> writes:

> It'd be unfortunate to take that stance, since auth is the canonical
> name of the service, while ident is an alias. See RFC1700.

Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:

< I disagree. From RFC 1413:
<
<    The Identification Protocol was formerly called the Authentication
<    Server Protocol.  It has been renamed to better reflect its function.
< I note that RFC 1700 is now nearly 5 years old. I think things have
< moved on, and in particular, as I noted, other forms of "real
< authentication" are now on the scene (RFCs 2222, 2554, for example).

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@???> writes:

> Cool. I've regarded RFC1700 as authoritative because it has no "Updated
> by" / "Obsoleted by" references. I don't have a problem changing my
> perspective on this one because...

Note that RFC 1700 declares itself obsolescent in the following terms:

| This RFC is a snapshot of the ongoing process of the assignment of
| protocol parameters for the Internet protocol suite. To make the
| current information readily available the assignments are kept up-to-
| date in a set of online text files.

If you check <ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers>
you will find that these days "ident" is listed ahead of "auth" as a name
for the 113/tcp service.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@???