Re: [Exim] Question about ORBS and the validity thereof (off…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: djc
To: Tabor J. Wells
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Question about ORBS and the validity thereof (offtopic)

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 12:41:33PM -0400,
> Dave C <djc@???> is thought to have said:

> > > I'd encourage it, speaking as someone who has seen a number of
> > > legitimate mail hosts rejected by ORBS repeatedly.
> >
> > ORBS doesnt try to list only "illegitate" mail hosts, it lists any
> > hosts which are misconfigured (usually by default becuase sendmail came
> > that way or unintentionally becuase there either is no real sysadmin or
> > the sysadmin is not clueful regarding the matter) to permit open SMTP
> > relay, since these are often abused by spammers, as we all know. The
> > object is to providers the owners/operators of those hosts to
> > reconfigure their server to not permit abuse of that manner.
> >
> > You might want to have a closer look at the site at www.orbs.org.
>
> If the point is to block spam, then using ORBS results in a lot of false
> positives since anyone with an open relay is listed regardless of whether
> they are being used to propagate spam. If the point is to block open
> relays (and let the users of systems which have open relays know so that
> they can bug their admins to fix the problems) then ORBS is great.
> Personally I submit open relays to both ORBS and radparkers as
> appropriate.

That is in fact the point of ORBS, to get open relays closed. I have
been using ORBS for some time, and only recently became aware of
radparker. I have radparker ahead of other lists now, I want to see how
many hosts ORBS blocks that raparker doesnt. I will probably use
radparker (and DUL/DSSL.IMRSS/RBL) for production machines, and add
ORBS and MR-OUT.IMRSS for my personal machine.