Re: [Exim] return-path

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dave C
Aan: Andrey Novikov
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] return-path

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Andrey Novikov wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My web servers are sending mail using '|sendmail -t'. I
> found, that it's adding Return-path header with the web
> server username, but not with 'From' address. How can I
> correct this behavior? I do not want replies to be send to
> pseudo-user...

Ah, but what is the correct "From" addres when a web server sends
email? Some cg scripts will set it to whatever the person in the
browser types in the "email address" field - a very bad practice,
IMNSHO. Since the webserver has no way to verify even the domain ofsome
random address entered in by a surfer address, let alone the
local-part. Personally I like to set the envelope sender to <>, and the
Fromline to www.whatver.com@whatever.com

You can reply to mail sent from an individual, but how do you "reply"
to a webform submission?

"No its NOT the enduser sending the mail, its the SERVER sending you
mail. If you want to reply, YOU will have to extract their email
address from your form results (and deal with the possibility of it
being absent, invalid, or incorrect) to reply. If you want the end user
to send you mail, use a mailto: link" is what I tell the webhost
customers.