Re: [EXIM] Avoiding a bad backup MX server

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Leonardo Boselli
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Peter Lister, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Avoiding a bad backup MX server
On 7 Jul 99, at 9:21, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> > Is possible to put an option in exim so you can specify, for some
> > domains or for certains domains or even for a single user to "use
> > only MX records < nn " or use the first n MX records only" ?
> It is possible, but I do not think it is sensible. You should either use
> the MX records, or you should route a domain by a specific local
> configuration.
> I suggested before that you use a domainlist router to route that domain
> to specific hosts. If the MX records change, you would have to change
> your configuration. Doing what you suggest above doesn't prevent you
> from having to do this; they may change the priority of the MX records,
> or add or delete MX records, so you don't gain anything, and it really
> is breaking the rules most horribly.

Misunderstanding: lets do an example:
PL had 3 MX recods for a domain: he said that the third one is very
slow, so he prefer to keep trying to post to the first two.
Telling the MTA to use only the first 2 with MX 10 and 20 and
forgetting the one with 99 , or to avoid MX with level > 50 do not
have problem if the order is changed, since it would get
automatically the two new preferred ones ...
Of course this could be a problem if the first ones are barred from
some domain, but i think it is a rule violation too ...
Leonardo Boselli (NIT)
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze
Via Santa Marta 3