Re: [EXIM] Lost mail due to `message retry timeout exceeded'

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ian Jackson
Aan: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [EXIM] Lost mail due to `message retry timeout exceeded'
Philip Hazel writes ("Re: [EXIM] Lost mail due to `message retry timeout exceeded'"):
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > So indeed, that would put it beyond my maximum retry limit (4 days).
> > But shouldn't that just make it bounce (if it wasn't going to already)
> > instead of vanish ?
>
> Er, it's already a bounce message, so there's nobody to bounce it to.

Yes, so it should freeze it again. That's what usually happens if you
thaw a bounce message when it's still broken.

> The comment in the code says:
>
> /* If this is an error delivery message for which there is no
> other errors address, and it has been failed because of a retry
> timeout, ignore it. This case happens when a delivery error
> message times out after (auto) thawing, since the normal handling
> of failures for such messages is to defer and freeze them. */

I think this is not a good idea. It means that if you leave a message
frozen for longer than the retry timeout there's no way to thaw it and
retry the delivery without risking losing the message.

Ian.