Re: [EXIM] Serializing local delivery to a procmail pipe

Top Pagina
Auteur: Tabor J. Wells
Aan: Ian Jackson
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [EXIM] Serializing local delivery to a procmail pipe
On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 11:25:29PM +0100,
Ian Jackson <ijackson@???> is thought to have said:

> Tabor J. Wells writes ("Re: [EXIM] Serializing local delivery to a
> procmail pipe"):
> > But that's the problem right now. Procmail is creating so many locks that
> > they all just thrash the system waiting on release. The volume of bounces
> > is such that quickly there are thousands of processes spawned which are
> > piped to procmail which create a lock and spin waiting for it to be
> > released. Is there any possibility of adding a serialize option for the
> > transport in a future version? Or barring that modelling something like
> > the smtp_accept_queue_per_connection option?
>
> Surely your real problem is that procmail isn't doing locking properly
> (with fcntl F_SETLKW) and instead is polling on a lockfile ?
>
> If so, the following small C program may be of some help. Try
> something like
> "|with-lock-ex -w /path/to/lockfile program arg arg ..."
> in the appropriate Exim aliasfile or wherever.
>
> Better would be to fix (or reconfigure) procmail, of course.
>
> Ian.

Indeed that would seem to be the case. I let procmail choose it's locking
strategy via autoconf, and it chose dotlocking, fcntl(), and lockf()

however it seems that it was choosing lockf() in favor of fcntl(). I've
rebuilt it to use fcntl() instead and will try it again on their next
mailing.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                             twells@???
Systems Administration Manager  Just another victim of the ambient morality
Shore.Net  --  High quality Internet access and hosting services since 1993