[EXIM] exim delivers mail addressed to users and some not al…

Author: Dennis John
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] exim delivers mail addressed to users and some not all groups
the groups that exim does deliver to contain users that are local and
internet address. I'm routing internal mail via my firewall with the these
commands in my exim config file on the internal mail hub:

smarthost:
        transport = remote_smtp,
        driver = domainlist;
        route_list = "* hostname.domain.com bydns_a"

the error message i'm receiving from the firewall host is:

user@hostname:
unrouteable mail domain "hostname"

but if this were true,shouldn't all mail addressed to an individual at that
host also fail. I'm confused about what exim is trying to do. Can anyone help.

thanks
Dennis