Re: [EXIM] Serializing local delivery to a procmail pipe

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tabor J. Wells
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Serializing local delivery to a procmail pipe
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> But that's the problem right now. Procmail is creating so many locks that
> they all just thrash the system waiting on release. The volume of bounces
> is such that quickly there are thousands of processes spawned which are
> piped to procmail which create a lock and spin waiting for it to be
> released. Is there any possibility of adding a serialize option for the
> transport in a future version? Or barring that modelling something like
> the smtp_accept_queue_per_connection option?

The only way for the transport to serialize would be for it to wait on
some lock, so you don't gain much.

> Right now I've got it set to hold the local domain, and I run an exim -Rf
> out of cron every 10 minutes. That works pretty well, but there are other
> legitimate users on that system that are seeing delays in delivery of
> their mail by up to 10 minutes.

Can you identify these messages in a system filter? There isn't a
"queue" command, unfortunately, but you could freeze them if
first_delivery is true, and then -Rff could be used to pick them up.

I'll think about a "queue" command for the system filter.