[EXIM] How exim uses DNS

Author: Carl Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] How exim uses DNS
Hi,

Two questions. 1) I have a box thats setup to route mail to several
different servers as well as to the internet. The box uses an internal
DNS so it can route to any internal box. Because of a firewall I want
all outgoing mail to be routed through this box. Also internal routing
should go through this box. The problem I am having is if I change the
MX record on the internal DNS to point to the exim server with a
"*.internal.domain.com" I get "routing to itself errors". I have
everything working and I can't see a good reason for an MX record on the
internal DNS but I am told its deep rooted. 2) On a sendmail box (I am
trying to get rid of) I have if it does a DNS lookup and there is no A
record it uses the MX record on internal lookups. If there is a A
record it uses the A record. Is there a way to get exim to follow this
type of logic? It seems to me that exim uses MX records even for
reverse lookups.

Thanks,
     Carl