[EXIM] Deferred mail

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [EXIM] Deferred mail
On 21-Jun-99 at 13:19:54 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, John Horne wrote:
>> > The error message comes after the 451 smtp code and the address, e.g.
>> > 451 <someaddress@???> the message you put after :defer:
>> > and is put in the log as "forced defer: the message you put after
>> >:defer:". No message is sent back to the user for deferred messages,
>> > AFAIK.
>> ^^^^^
>> Agreed, but the manual at least inmplies that it does since it talks of
>> an error message (as opposed to just a log entry).
>
> Well, it sends the error message back to the sending host, and I think
> that justifies calling it an error message. Maybe I should say "error
> text" so as to avoid the word "message", which suggests a complete email
> message.

Ah! So no complete mail message is sent back, but the :defer: text as part of
the 451 code as Ben Smithurst wrote above? That would agree with what we see
here. The point I'm getting at with all this is that the manual seemed to
imply that the sender of the original message got a message back (from
us) saying that the recipients mail was deferred. This didn't seem right to
us and I couldn't see it happening in any tests.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???
Home page: http://jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john@???