Re: [EXIM] Reverse RBL

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: James FitzGibbon
To: David M Walker
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Reverse RBL
* David M Walker (davidw@???) [990619 14:28]:

> We've been using RBL's very successfully but recently had quite a
> few false positives, mainly from Open Relays. Obviously we can
> choose to warn or reject, thats fine.
>
> A user suggested the following:
>
> Why can't you check when sending outbound mail and report to the
> sender that the person recipient may not be able to reply as the
> they are in an rbl.

That logic really only applies to the MAPS RBL, not to other "RBL
Technology" lists like IMRSS or MAPS DUL. For example, the host I am
sending this from is in the IMRSS because it's a dynamic IP assigned to my
ADSL connection. That doesn't mean that I can't respond to you, because my
local Exim server routes all outbound mail my ISP's hub.

> I haven't examined the code but my guess is that it needs a
> call to the RBL at some point after the MX lookup.

There is very little to do to implement this technically, but I think that
as we see more and more mail abuse information that are not blacklists
distributed using the method that MAPS RBL first made popular, it's
usefulness would drop off.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@???
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100