[EXIM] Deferred mail

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [EXIM] Deferred mail
Hello,

In the exim 3.00 manual (page 141) it states that an aliasfile can include
the entries ':defer:' and/or ':fail:'. It then states that any text after
these is 'included in the error message that exim generates'. Using :defer:
though I can see no error messages being generated - I assume they are to go
back to the sender. All that seems to happen is that the message is put on
the queue (deferred) until it either times out, is removed or deleted.

Should :defer: send a message back? I can't say it's something we want, we
just want to defer users mail whilst we sort out any problems with their
mailbox. I can, however, see a point in sending a message back when :fail: is
used.

We are running exim 3.02.

John.
 PS I'm sure I asked this a long time ago, but someone else is now asking me
    about it. I sometimes feel I'm just going round in circles with some of
    these things...:-)

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???
Home page: http://jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john@???