[EXIM] serving as a backup MX host

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
A: exim-users
Temas antiguos: Re: [EXIM] Sender verification...
Asunto: [EXIM] serving as a backup MX host

Hi All

I currently have [cut from an actual header] (Exim 2.04 #4) running. I
have a custoemr who runs his own mail server over ISDN and is not always
connected. He would like me to be set up as a backup MX host.

The MX records for his domain read

object.com      MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = hobbiton.shire.net
object.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = lissie.object.com

With his being the 10 and mine the 20.

I have

relay_hosts = object.com

in my exim.conf. I set this up and sent him a message to test it. His
link was down. Immediately my message bounced (sent through my SMTP server
which is also his backup). The bounce message said:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  eb@???:
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

So I went in and deleted the retry record in the retry database for
object.com and tried again. This time it sat in my mail queue until the
retries timed out according to the retry rules. (Since changed to be
100days). Then any mail sent to him bounced back with the above message if
he was down. I want it to not do that. But I understand why it happened.
But the kicker comes that today while he was UP I sent a test message to
him that bounced as above and he was up. When does the retry get reset
automatically, if ever, and what other settings do I need to set up to act
as a reliable backup MX host? I am not sure I really want it to retry for
100 days but I for now I set that until I figure out the best value.

Thanks
Chad

Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
Web and Macintosh Consulting -- full service web hosting
Chad Leigh
chad@???            chad@???