Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim ov…

Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmai l?]
Quoth Friso Kuipers on Mon, Jun 07, 1999:
>     route_list = "* smarthost.isp.net byname"
>                                       ^^^^^^
> Put the smarthost in /etc/hosts, no need to poll an external DNS
> server.

Hmm, that's a nice idea. But I won't do it.

> When the (PPP) link comes up pppd starts exim via the /etc/ppp/ip-up
> script:
> and kills it when the link goes down via /etc/ppp/ip-down:

I did exim -qf in the Dialout.up script.

> Set queue_smtp, so exim does the routing.

This means that even when you are online and send mail from your
local machine, the mail is not delivered immediately. Or am I
wrong?

> Point is, exim is easier to configure for dial-up than the other MTA's
> so more and more people will do so. Designed for it or not.

The configurability of exim is nice, indeed.

Vadik.

--
To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to
provide a test load.