Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?

Autor: Friso Kuipers
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?

On 7 Jun, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
>
>> Why? Diapup is just a host wrich needs to receive no connections
>> (except from localhost, if people on this machine use MH), which
>> sometimes wants to re-write all the outgoing addresses, and
>> usually sends all the outgoing mail to a smarthost.
>
> Dial-up hosts need *not* to try to deliver remote deliveries
> immediately, but when they do, they should do the entire queue down the
> same SMTP connection. Exim is not optimized for handling large queues -
> it was designed for online hosts that can deliver mail immediately most
> of the time, so the queuing apparatus is simple because it is designed
> for handling only exceptions. (The two hosts forming this system handle
> around 20,000 messages per day each, but the queues are rarely above
> 40 messages long.)

After the holidays my ISP has always hundreds of e-mails waiting for me.
These are forced down exim's throat in one go. Exim spawns a lot of kids
(ps -ax looks amazing) but untill now never failed. It seems more
robust than you think. But I don't know what happens when memory runs
out, though.

Greetings,
Friso Kuipers.