Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim ov…

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Friso Kuipers
Para: exim-users
Tópicos Antigos: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmail?]
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmai l?]

On 7 Jun, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth Nigel Metheringham on Mon, Jun 07, 1999:
>> There are a few other wrinkles - especially if you want to avoid either
>> dragging up the external connection every time there is a new message
>> (ie for DNS lookups), or if the external link is not bought up
>> automatically then DNS lookups and connects will fail when the host is
>> offline.
>
> I don't do it at home. DNS lookup just fails, and the message is
> just deferred.

I did the following when I used dial-up:

All mail for the outside via a smarthost (no other routers):
    route_append:
    driver = domainlist
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = "* smarthost.isp.net byname"
                                      ^^^^^^
Put the smarthost in /etc/hosts, no need to poll an external DNS
server.

Set queue_smtp, so exim does the routing.

When the (PPP) link comes up pppd starts exim via the /etc/ppp/ip-up
script:
    #!/bin/sh
    exim -bd -q30m

and kills it when the link goes down via /etc/ppp/ip-down:
    #!/bin/sh
    killall exim

Point is, exim is easier to configure for dial-up than the other MTA's
so more and more people will do so. Designed for it or not.

Greetings,
Friso Kuipers.