Re: [EXIM] Bouncing all email directed to a given external …

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: chris.bannister
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Bouncing all email directed to a given external domain.

chris.bannister@??? said:
>     Due to a number of my users being unable to understand that all our
> local email addresses end @dowmil.co.uk and not dowding.co.uk I need
> to clock email to dowding.co.uk.  If possible I would like to be able
> to return a message instructing the user to use @dowmil.co.uk
> instead.

Gyan's answer for this is great as ever, except that Chris doesn't own
dowding.co.uk so fiddling with mail addressed to/from it has problems -
you may find yourself unable to communicate with those people which
could be difficult if they become a customer or supplier of/to you.

Also you are likely to find that people with terminal confusion over
their email address spray the wrong address liberally through the
message text.

Maybe your best bet is to build a filter which only picks up on locally
generated mail (use the originating IP address or local host to select
this), and has dowding.co.uk in the from/reply-to headers or in the
body, and freeze that mail. You can then build a script to do further
processing, or do it manually. Adding a good long delay may help
people to decide that thinking carefully would be a good idea.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]