Re: [EXIM] Exim and the debug_print Option

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ernst Czaputa
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim and the debug_print Option
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Ernst Czaputa wrote:

> When a local user sends mail to the local address "A<name>" (wich <name>
> been anything) the file "<name>" should be created below his home-directory
> in the the form "$HOME/mymail/<name>"

I don't understand. Do you mean that if a local user sends mail to
"Axxx" it should end up in the *sender's* home directory? Why would a
user want to do that? Why not just copy the file? Email is all about
sending data from one user to *another* user.

> I set up the director:
>
> ablage:
> driver = smartuser
> transport = local_ablage
> prefix = "A"
>
> and the transport:
>
> local_ablage:
> driver = appendfile
> file = ??how-to-get-the-home-Dir-here?? /mymail/${local_part}
> user = $sender_ident
> debug_print = file

What do you expect to happen if a user on some foreign host sends mail
to Axxx? You haven't checked that the sender is local.

> 1.) how do I get the homedirectory for the user $sender_ident?

If you are using a traditional /etc/passwd you could look it up using
${lookup.

> 2.) "prefix" makes NO difference between "A" and "a". I ONLY want
>     capital A's to use this transport

Caseful email causes lots of problems. See a number of items in the FAQ.

>     If I put a debug_print into the director section, it just prints
>     the string "file" insted of to what "file" expands to. What's that ??

You need to put

debug_print = ?how-to-get-the-home-Dir-here?? /mymail/${local_part}