Re: [EXIM] [Followup] Explanation please: <<< 552 Header li…

Author: Christian Kurz
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [EXIM] [Followup] Explanation please: <<< 552 Header line is ridiculously overlong
Kevin J Collins <K.J.Collins@???> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanations of the '552' error. Is the limit of 8192
> defined in any of the relevant RFC's, is it a rule-of-thumb or is it a
> reasonable if arbitrary limit?

No, it's not defined in an RfC but it's a rule of thumb. If you would
strict the length of a headerline, some could attack your server with a
DoS. So you need to define a limit and in my opinion 8192 is more than
enough, if you take a look at the length of the headers on you normal
mails. Mostly spammers use such a long header line.

Cheers
       Christian
--
"If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on
the NII] looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work."