Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Anand Buddhdev
Para: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?
On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 10:58:00PM +0200, Andromeda wrote:

> At 14:53 21-05-1999 -0600, you wrote:
> >Would any of you kind people care to offer your insights as to why Exim
> >might be a better choics that Qmail? I don't have experience with either
> >and would appreciate your output before I invest a bunch of time in either.
>
> Exim is tons easier to configure... qmail is much faster apparently, but
> also much fussier (requires 4 or 5 new users).

Requiring a few more users is not, in my opinion, a good enough reason to
ignore qmail. And it's not that fussy. If anything, it's fussiness gives it
very tight security. No offence to Philip (exim is a very good MTA), but
there *are* bugs in it from time to time, and we have to upgarde to make
sure we're not affected by the bug. It's also big and monolithic. In
contrast, qmail is small, very fast, and one doesn't need to worry about
upgrading it from time to time. Set it up, watch it start delivering mail,
and then forget about it - no baby-sitting needed. On the other hand, exim
provides extreme flexibility with its concept of director and routers,
which we can use to build exim into anything we like, even emulate qmail's
features!

I personally use both - qmail on my workstation, and exim on the mail hubs
at the ISP where I work. I like both, and each has its good and bad points.
It just depends on what you consider important for your site, and decide
which of the 2 will work better for you. And while you're investigating
MTAs, you may want to look at postfix too. http://www.postfix.org

--
System Administrator
See complete headers for address, homepage and phone numbers