Re: [EXIM] Spam fighting that works

Autor: Peter Galbavy
A: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
CC: Peter Galbavy, Christian Dysthe, jpburnham, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] Spam fighting that works
On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 12:50:35PM -0400, Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder wrote:
> Liability??? Can you say 'disclaimer of warranty'?
>
> eg, "in an attempt to help reduce unwanted mail, our system will make
> its best effort to filter out mail that isnt addressed directly to you
> with exceptions you specify. If you use this service, you agree that
> you cannot hold ABC Company, Inc liable if you either receive some
> email that you didnt want, or if you do not receive some email that you
> did want. You agree not to rely on this service for any communication
> which is cricial to safety of life or limb, or that is essential to the
> livelihood or profitability of business"
>
> I'm sure a lawyer could come up with a wording better than mine..

In England (and Wales :) there is a piece of legislation called
something like the "Unfair Contract Terms" Act or somesuch. This,
and major consumer legislation places burdens on the suppliers of
goods and services regarding exactly what they can and cannot
disclaim responsibility for. At the end of the day, regardless of
the wording, it can still come down to the "learned" opinion of
some old fart in the court deciding that you as a supplier should
have been more careful...

And anyhow, as soon as you have to try to protect yourself from
this sort of liability, you are probably not doing what your paying
customers want, which in the end is far more important than whatever
the courts or contracts may say.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy