Re: [EXIM] Spam fighting that works

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
To: Peter Galbavy
CC: Christian Dysthe, jpburnham, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Spam fighting that works

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 09:09:29AM -0500, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> > I have no cluse what is wrong with bcc. I have gotten an off list mail
> > that talks about this also. I am a normal computer user. One of those
> > new Linux users that want an OS that do not crash. I use the features
> > that come with a mailer. bcc is one of them.
>
> An OS that doesn't crash ? Where ? :)
>
> > As "radical" idea: What if an ISP offered users as an option to only
> > receive mail specifically addressed to them? They could have a web form
> > where the users could put in (and remove) the exceptions they wanted
> > like for mailing list. Shouldn't be too hard to do if the ISP used
> > exim? I would have used this if my ISP had offered it. Would most
> > certainly make life harder for spammers if it got widespread.
>
> It would make an interesting USP if it could be economically
> implemented, but at my previous employer we tried to implement a
> server-side anti-samming service, but the technical and >legal<
> issues meant that apart from some selected volunteers, it never saw
> the light of day.
>
> Even if we ignore the legal issues of liability if your system gets it
> wrong (whether though a design or implementation or marketing flaw),
> the technicailities of deciding, even recommending, what constitutes
> e-mail destined specifically for you as opposed to unsolicited spam
> is probably impossible. To acheive a near-hit is feasible, but is
> not likely to be good enough for most of your users.

Liability??? Can you say 'disclaimer of warranty'?

eg, "in an attempt to help reduce unwanted mail, our system will make
its best effort to filter out mail that isnt addressed directly to you
with exceptions you specify. If you use this service, you agree that
you cannot hold ABC Company, Inc liable if you either receive some
email that you didnt want, or if you do not receive some email that you
did want. You agree not to rely on this service for any communication
which is cricial to safety of life or limb, or that is essential to the
livelihood or profitability of business"

I'm sure a lawyer could come up with a wording better than mine..