[EXIM] several messages

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg, Hans-Georg v. Zezschwitz, Khaled Tabbara
CC: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [EXIM] SMTP timeout after DATA
Oggetto: [EXIM] several messages
On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I'll double the data_timeout from the default 5m to 10m. If I need to go
> higher, I'll set up a special router for that particular host.

For the record, it would have been final_timeout you needed to change,
not data_timeout.

> > or set up a transport filter that drops \0-characters (they are
> > illegal, anyways).
>
> Any advice on how to do that efficiently. I really don't want to run a
> perl processes on every message.

Even if you write it in C it won't be very efficient, as an extra
process is involved.

> I will complain to the upstream sites if nulls are illegal in these.

RFC 821, and the revision thereof that is being worked on both say

      The mail data may contain any of the 128 ASCII characters.

so as far as I can tell, nulls are not illegal. (I've only had a quick
look. Maybe I missed something.) I seem to recall there being some
debate about this recently, but I didn't pay much attention, because
Exim (like other modern MTAs such as qmail) is 8-bit clean.

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Khaled Tabbara wrote:

> We are seeing the same exact symptoms. In some cases, the user on the
> receiving end is getting multiple (20+) copies of the same message as a
> result of Exim's retrying.

Now that is bad. Do you mean that the far end is accepting the message,
but then failing to acknowledge it correctly? How very annoying!

> So far I have not found a pattern to this problem. Messages ranging from 30k
> to 500k are getting this "timeout after end of DATA" message.
>
> I'm using Exim 2.12 on Solaris 2.6

We haven't seen anything like this here on Solaris 2.6.