Re: [EXIM] ridiculously long header

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Mansfield
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [EXIM] ridiculously long header
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Paul Mansfield wrote:

> I guess strictly speaking you should work out how long a header could be
> theoretically.

Er, how? Headers can be used by any applications for their own purposes,
and are by no means all standardized.

> If you had two hosts talking to each other and both had the
> maximum length of a hostname possible allowed by DNS, then you had all the
> other logs, you'd probably end up with something in your code which looked like
> this, to allow for a header vaguely in the format
>
>    host <H1> a.b.c.d received message from <H2> w.x.y.z blah blah blah

Why pick on that header? You'll get a much longer one from

To: 1 a very long introductory phrase for an address <verylong1@verylong>,
    2 a very long introductory phrase for an address <verylong2@verylong>,
    3 a very long introductory phrase for an address <verylong3@verylong>,

... and so ad infinitum - well, for a long time. Even just 100
recipients would make quite a long header.