Re: [EXIM] (Possibly Off Topic) "Too many open files in syst…

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (Possibly Off Topic) "Too many open files in system" error
Kevin J Collins <K.J.Collins@???> probably said:
> Here at Heriot-Watt we've just migrated to Exim. The config is
> Exim-2.12 running under RedHat 5.2 . The migration took place
> over the weekend. Today with all the users getting in, the
> machine crashed.
>
> According to the Exim logs, there were a lot of
> "Too many open files in system" entries.
>
> Is this a Linux problem, an exim problem or a bit of both?
>
> Anyone got any suggestions or fixes?

>From the spec, searching on 'open files':

lookup_open_max

    Type:    integer
    Default: 25

    This option limits the number of simultaneously open lookup files. Exim
    normally keeps files open during directing and routing, since often the
    same file is required several times. This limit applies only to those
    lookup types which use regular files, namely lsearch, dbm, and cdb. If the
    limit is reached, Exim closes the least recently used file. Note that if
    you are using the NDBM library, it actually opens two files for each
    logical DBM database, though it still counts as one for the purposes of
    lookup_open_max. If you are getting 'too many open files' errors with
    NDBM, you need to reduce the value of lookup_open_max.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???