[EXIM] hostnames in 2.950

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] hostnames in 2.950
Configuration: Exim 2.950 on BSD/OS 4.0.

There seems to be a problem with exim 2.950 and its recognition
of the host's primary hostname. On our site, the "client"
machines are configured to accept the connections from 127.0.0.1
and the primary interface of the machine (for MH). Exim's
host_reject is set as follows:

host_reject = "! @ : ! localhost : *"

The primary hostname is recognized very well:

trilok:~$ exim -bP primary_hostname
primary_hostname = trilok.cs.huji.ac.il

When I connect to "localhost" (netstat shows connection from
localhost to localhost), exim happily accepts the connection.
The simulation succeeds, too:

trilok:~$ exim -bh 127.0.0.1
[snip]
>>> host in host_reject? no (! localhost)

[snip]
220 trilok.cs.huji.ac.il ESMTP Exim 2.950 #1 Sun, 2 May 1999 19:33:00 +0300

But when I connect from trilok (netstat shows a connection from
trilok to trilok), exim throws me out. Here's the simulation:

trilok:~$ exim -bh 132.65.80.249
[snip]
>>> host in host_reject? yes (*)

Setting host_reject to "!@ : !localhost : !trilok.cs.huji.ac.il
: *" helps, but it's not what I want, because all our hosts use
the same configuration file, and I don't want to allow all of
them to talk SMTP with each other.

Seems like a bug to me, although it may be the case that I missed
something.

Vadik.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
         encryption standard and they came up with ...