Re: [EXIM] Relaying

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Relaying
Steve Lamb <morpheus@???> probably said:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:42:38 -0400, Jim Knoble wrote:
> >There's actually a possibility of usefulness for internal networks that
> >have no or limited access to external DNS (and possibly other

The only "abuse" you open yourself to is someone using you as a backup
MX. It doesn't open you to random relaying, only _to_ a domain that
someone controls the DNS for.

In some cases its far easier to allow this and stomp on people you
don't want to be doing it (from logs) than trying to work out every
legitimate domain, and since they are putting their mail through your
server you have a fair bit of clout here ("/dev/null sounds like a
good destination to me ...")

> >services).  No compelling reason to remove it.
>     But a compelling reason to modify it, which was my point.  ;)

Modify it how ?

How could you reasonably make a decision about if someone is a valid
user of your relay without listing them all ? If you're listing them
all, use the other options, if you _can't_ list them all for one
reason or another or you're in a limitet situation (as mentioned), the
option is very useful.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???