[EXIM] HELO verification

Author: Andreas M. Kirchwitz
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] HELO verification
Hello Exim users!

I'm a little bit confused if it's just me being stupid or
if the following scenario isn't possible with Exim:

Exim runs as daemon and I want it to accept mail only if the
dialog starts with HELO (EHLO). Some additional syntax checks
would be nice. But I don't want it to check if the given
hostname actually matches the IP address of the calling party.

How to configure this?

Without "helo_verify" Exim doesn't seem to require HELO at all.
But that's too restrictive (I don't want it to match the given
name against the IP address of the connection). So I tried
"helo_verify_except_nets = 0.0.0.0/0", but this disables the
HELO check completeley.

What does "helo_accept_junk_nets" do? The name looks like the
solution for my problem (require HELO but don't be too restrictive
about it), but it doesn't seem to do anything useful at all. With
"helo_verify" set it still does all these restrictive HELO checks.

Obviously, I'm just confused. ;-)

    Please, enlighten me ... Andreas