Re: [EXIM] OFFTOPIC (should be OFFLIST).

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Greg A. Woods
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] OFFTOPIC (should be OFFLIST).
[ On Friday, April 23, 1999 at 14:38:23 (-0400), Peter Radcliffe wrote: ]
> Subject: [EXIM] OFFTOPIC (should be OFFLIST).
>
> Putting 'OFFTOPIC' in the subject line isn't an excuse.
>
> Give it a rest ! You're not going to agree, its up to ISPs to set the
> policies of the service they provide and the whole thing has NOTHING
> to do with this list and is just wasting bandwidth.

FYI it's people who use MTAs like Exim in inappropriate situations (such
as when trying to do wide-open SMTP on dial-up links) that cause debates
like this in the first place. It is an FAQ, on all MTA lists. The
semi-clue-full cause lots of headaches. It might help if all MTAs
documented a proper way to run in a disconnected mode, but I doubt it
(Postfix does because its author uses it that way, but it's still a
reasonably frequently asked question). I tried making it impossible for
another MTA (smail) to run SMTP in that mode, but that didn't help much
either. I think wide-spread deployment of LTMP, combined with complete
blocking or redirecting of SMTP from all so-called "dial-up" ports
(eg. all those in the dul.maps.vix.com RBL) will be about the only way
to eliminate this issue, and although that's maybe not an ideal topic
for discussion on a list devoted to a single MTA, it's not entirely out
of place either (at least not until that MTA is totally on side of the
solution -- and no, I don't know how to define that!).

BTW, I'd have replied directly to you, but you also set Reply-To to the
list! ;-)

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>