Re: [EXIM] Envelope From rewriting.

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: kiss the sun and walk on air
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Envelope From rewriting.
* kiss the sun and walk on air (peter.royal@???) [990419 23:10]:

> I'm getting exim to work at my site here, and all is great, except for
> my silly pobox.com address. Sometimes I want to send mail from my work
> addy, so the From: line contains peter.royal@???, and the
> envelope from contains osi@???, my username on the machine
> here (the machine is in the domain alligator.org). My difficulties are
> when sending mail from my pobox.com address.. the envelope from line
> still gets osi@???, which causes problems on some mailing
> lists that I am subscribed to as peter.royal@???. I browsed
> through the documentation but couldn't find anything that I thought
> would be relevant (i was fairly confused).
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What you're trying to do is a bit difficult using only one Exim
configuration file. Exim's rewrite rules use a source pattern, rewrite
pattern, and flags to indicate what parts of the message should be
rewritten. They do not allow for decisions made upon two criteria.

You need some sort of logic to say "when the From: header is
peter.royal@???, change the envelope sender to the same, but when the
>From header is peter.royal@???, change the envelope sender to

osi@???".

Unless I have grossly misread the documentation, there is no facility in
Exim to do this with just one rewriting configuration file.

If you are using a local MTA (one which just calls /usr/sbin/sendmail or
/usr/bin/exim as opposed to talking TCP on port 25), then I have a
suggestion. Create two exim configuration files. One should no rewriting
configuration (or rather, no rewriting configuration pertaining to
peter.royal@???). This should be the regularly named configuration
file. Create another file which contains a rewrite configuration like this:

osi@???    peter.royal@???    E

Give this configuration file some other name like configure.pobox. In your
MUA, run exim with the -C switch to tell it to use the alternate
configuration file when you are sending mail from the pobox.com address.

In a MUA like Pine, this might require you to make two pine configurations,
and load a different invocation of Pine depending on how you wanted the
envelope sender to turn out. If you're using something like Mutt you can
automate the process with the send-hook. Something like this:

send-hook '~f ^peter\.royal@pobox\.com$ 'set sendmail=/usr/local/bin/exim -C
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure.pobox'

(all on one line)

Other people may have better ideas, but I think this will at least do what you
want.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@???
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100