Re: [EXIM] using fallback_hosts with a 5xx result code ?

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] using fallback_hosts with a 5xx result code ?
* Philip Hazel (ph10@???) [990419 05:39]:

> That's the reason, really. If you get a 5xx error, you really shouldn't
> try anything else with that recipient address.
>
> I see your problem, but I'm not at all sure that bodging the rules this
> way is the right thing to do.

It's too bad that the format for the extended return codes is botched by so
many other MTAs. If it was standardized, you could have a table that mapped
extended return codes to actions. The code for "administrative refused"
would get retried but "no such mailbox here" wouldn't.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@???
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100