[EXIM] SMTP timeout when sending 1.7K mail to mail.earthlink…

Author: David Sims
To: david, exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] SMTP timeout when sending 1.7K mail to mail.earthlink.net
I'm new to exim (recently installed Debian 2.1 and ran eximconfig). I seem
to have ran across that old SMTP timeout problem. (I did check the mail
archives and docs before posting this; I hope my question isn't a FAQ).

anyway, I've noticed that I can't send emails larger than ~1.7K to
mail.earthlink.net. Works fine on every other SMTP server I've tried.
And sending a large email by hand (telnet to mail port) works fine with
mail.earthlink.net.

For the meantime, I've reset my exim.conf so it doesn't use the smarthost
option. That is, I just connect straight to the recipient's mail server
so all my mail can get out. But I'd prefer to set my smarthost
to mail.earthlink.net.

Anyone else noticed this general type of problem? My account on earthlink
is davidsims@???. I'd be interested to hear if your exim can
deliver a 5K mail to me.

Maybe it's just my setup, but any help is appreciated. My mail log is
here:

1999-04-16 18:40:59 10YINj-00009h-00 SMTP timeout while connected to
ibis.prod.itd.earthlink.net [207.217.120.29] after end of data (30780 bytes
written)

thanks in advance,
david sims
david@???